Wednesday, October 12, 2005

So Much Has Changed

It is amazing the things that can happen in your life in a matter of weeks, DAYS even.

As of September 23, I was still a resident of San Diego County. Now here I am, 18 days later, and I am a resident of Hartford County. I used to live a short distance from the Mexico border. Now I live a short distance from the Canadian border. I went from sunny weather and 76 degrees to cloudy, overcast and raining since Saturday, and 53 degrees. It was 53 degrees this morning! And it did NOT warm up. I had to go buy a sweater. I had all my winter stuff packed by the moving company. I figured I wouldn't need it. Riiiiight.

The saddest part of the whole event? I grew up here! Granted I haven't lived here since I was 19, and most of you know how old I am and can do the math. For the others, let's just say it's been a while. And I went directly to the Valley of the Sun, where my wardrobe consisted of shorts and tank tops for years.

In that matter of time, we have managed to buy a house. This now consumes my day. There are inspections to have and appraisals to order. There are Town Halls to visit and Lawyers to hire. Oh yea, I am SO living in New England. Town Hall and Lawyer? Shit! In Arizona, you make an offer, do your appraisal, and move in 30 days later. Think I will actually HAVE a house by the 28th now that we have to involve lawyers? I already know what your answer is.

In the meantime, I have been living what I call the "Desperate Housewife" life. I imagine what it would be like to be famous and to live in a hotel. And order room service and have the maids (cleaning attendants?) come in and make my bed and clean my bathroom and replace my towels and soap and toothpaste and coffee. I go to breakfast every morning in the dining room (hot breakfast - I have grits with brown sugar and butter every morning!). I usually try to do something mid-morning to waste some time. This morning I had to run a check up to the real estate company for the house. Then I went to the mall and to Kohl's. I then had lunch.

As I was in the mall, I looked at the SAHM's (Stay-At-Home-Mom's) around me. They were here because they couldn't take the kids to the park and let them run their excess energy out in a flurry of swings and teeter-totters. I strolled the mall and caught more than one furtive jealous glance that I had no ankle-biters strolling along with me.

I made my way back to our temporary quarters, AKA the Hotel. I laid down and napped.

Tomorrow, I have to do laundry. I found a cute little laundromat where the old ladies were really fun to talk to last week. I'm going back there.

Friday I have a job interview. I'm in no hurry, but God knows I could use the distraction. Although, I wouldn't mind waiting until we are moved in. Then I could get us settled and unpacked and feel more rooted before I run off to work.

The good news is that I will have lots and lots of time to update my blog. So look for more updates from me.

Ta-ta for now!

No comments: