Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothers Day 2012

It is amazing to me where my life is today. 17 months ago we brought home two wonderful, precious, beautiful children who needed us as much as we needed them. At the time, they were 7 and 9, and now they are 8 and 11goingon21.

They came to us scared, unsure, and cautious. Today they are brave, confident, and curious.

I've watched my baby girl spread her wings and take root in her generous spirit. She's learning how to be a good friend without being taken advantage of. She's discovering the drama that accompanies the fifth grade hormones. She's learned that she is a rock star softball player, and the confidence boost has done wonders for her self-esteem. She's learned that sometimes, things don't work out like you want them to, and you take away the lesson and move on.

I've watched my baby boy become a funny, sassy, self-assured little man. I've seen him find a way to overcome his trepidation on certain things. I've watched his anxiety level go way down. I've learned to deal with his penchant for always seeing things in black and white, constrained in a neat little box. I've worked with him on his quick anger, trying to teach him that we must be quick to think, slow to speak, and slow to Anger. He's learned that you can't always get what you want, and he has learned to graciously respond to the word 'no'.

I've seen my older son hit several milestones that I realized I was dreading. He turned 18. He went to prom. He got his first job. He got a car. He's going to graduate high school in a little over a week. I've been cautiously navigating this relationship twist. I'm still his parent, but I've taken a more advisory role, rather than a teaching role. It's been a journey for me.

As a mother who has come to motherhood both biologically and through adoption, I am so very thankful for this day. For the day that reminds me to be thankful for my blessings. To be thankful that I have a husband who loves our children, and sets an example for them by loving me. Who provides for his family without complaint, and who is someone that I can trust beyond a shadow of a doubt to be my partner in parenting. I am thankful that he is not someone that I have to ask 'to watch the kids', but rather a willing participant in their growth, learning, and life. Someone who doesn't feel that his family is 'something to be dealt with', but something he willingly helped grow.

To all of you mothers out there, happy Mother's Day. I hope you are as blessed this day as I am.

2 comments:

Kelli Sheffler said...

Love this! I hope to be as good a mom as you are someday. Happy Mother's Day 'Stina!

scoutvalentine77 said...

Love you, your blogs, your family and your parenting :) and of course, for sharing all your wonderful stories in such a fantastic manner - Happy Mother's Day Christina!