Monday, June 16, 2008

I Weep Sometimes for the Future Generations

We're so dialed in, plugged in and turned on. We email, IM, blog and post. We get our news from the homepage of CNN.com, our bank balances online, and the weather through the computer screen.

Gone are the days when a handwritten note or invitation came in the mail. Evite's are as plentiful as spam, oh so abundant and raiding your inbox like ants at a picnic.

Today is the birthday of a friend of mine. I sent her an eCard first thing this morning. It was from Hallmark, so doesn't that count? Granted, we are all going to dinner later, and I have a gift and a handmade card, but what does it say about me that I sent her an eCard?

When I received a gift from a relative, I sat down and wrote a letter of thanks. Now, my son simply makes a phone call, or sends an email. Am I ok with it? I guess it's better than no thanks at all.

I see tweens and teens alike walking through the mall and texting their little fingers off. All while carrying on a conversation with their companions. Even my mother-in-law is into the texting game. I'll admit, it's a lot easier to text someone when you only have one little thing to say.

The other night my husband was in the bedroom watching TV, while I was on the laptop and my son was in his room on his PSP, playing an online game with some of his friends. I realized at that moment, that we are too dialed in. Too plugged in. Too reliant on electronic communicado.

So this week, unplug, untune, and spend some quality time. It's not forever.

No comments: